Ewens Ponds is one of the most unbelievable freshwater environments that you will ever see. The pools are around 10m deep with aqua blue coloured water and fluorescent green plant life. There is a variety of fish, crayfish and eels to observe. Made from limestone and spring fed from underground, the pools are a naturally occurring phenomenon. Bring a pair of goggles or snorkel and float downstream through 3 pools, while admiring the fish and plant life. It is like swimming through an aquarium. Don't forget your wet suit, these are "cold springs" the water is freezing!
Note: No leisure Swimming at Ewens Ponds - Snorkling and Scuba Diving only.
Ewens Ponds Road, Eight Mile Creek, SA
From Mount Gambier.
- Head south out of town along Nelson Road 15km
- Turn right onto Green Point Road 7km
- Turn right onto Galpins Road 4.7km
- Continue on Lower Nelson Road West 600m
- Turn left onto Ewens Ponds Road 700m
- Park and walk down to the gate and floating platform.
- There are 3 ponds to swim through, once you reach the 3rd pond there is an exit platform and a walking path back to the carpark.